Saturday, July 30, 2011

No Day But Today

I’ve been back in the US for almost a week now and have been missing Antigua pretty much every minute. I could so easily pick up and move there.
My last day went by in a blur. As I mentioned, I visited some ruins, and then just walked around getting more pictures and saying goodbye to people. In total I took over 2000 pictures in 3 weeks!


I have been back to school to get ready for three days now and the kids arrive on Monday. I am anxious to use my new Spanish skills when visiting the families of my students. I hope I can keep practicing so I don’t forget all that I have learned. I also hope I can make Olga proud.


During the end of the second week of Spanish school, Olga had me read a short story/passage in Spanish out of a workbook and answer comprehension questions about it. I totally got a better understanding of my students from this exercise because this is a common activity we do in my classroom. I actually got a better understanding of my students overall from this trip. It is so difficult to learn in two different languages and while I get frustrated with my students at times, remembering my difficulties learning Spanish will help me to be more patient.


Although I had a really difficult time with much of the vocabulary, I understood that the passage was about how we have things to help us remember the past, but it’s important to live in the moment. The future hasn’t arrived yet so there is no use in worrying about it. Right now enjoy every moment you can.


It was somewhat sentimental and cheesy, but always a good thing to be reminded of none the less. I was impressed that I got the main idea of the passage. I think I’m ready to take the 3rd grade level ISAT test now in Spanish!

As corny as it may be, I do have to remember to live for right now. I miss Guatemala terribly, but I am looking forward to doing the best I can at my demanding job this year and hopefully returning to the amazing country very soon.


“Another Day” -RENT

No comments:

Post a Comment