Sunday, May 31, 2009

Too Many Things I Haven't Done Yet...

Alright, blog numero uno. I wasn’t sure where to start, so I figured I better just begin writing and see what kind of adventure this whole blog thing would take me on.

But the real adventure begins in three weeks when I leave to spend the summer in Antigua, Guatemala. I had wanted to go abroad in college, but never did. I’m not sure if it was fear or uncertainty or what, but I somehow let that opportunity pass me by. It’s something I’ve thought about a lot over the past few years. Now I am a teacher with the wonderful luxury of having the summers off. With my grad school career soon to be a distant, and not so pleasant memory, I figured I earned some time to do something I truly had a desire to do.

So, in just a few short weeks, I’ll be off! I’ll be living with a host family, taking Spanish lessons, and teaching with other volunteers. Although I’ve heard all about the program from my friend Debra, I really have no idea what to expect. That can be scary, but I think more than anything I’m full of anticipation. I’ve spent my entire life living in the Midwest and I’m itching for the chance to see the rest of the world. Antigua, Guatemala is stop number one.

I could probably write on and on, but I’ll keep it short and sweet for now. I’m sure there will be much more to say in the weeks to come. I’m hoping this blog gives me an outlet for my thoughts, a way to document my experiences, and the chance to share my journey with whoever chooses to follow me on this voyage.

Love,

Julie

"Many the Miles" -Sara Barelilles

4 comments:

  1. Great start dude. I can't wait to read more, and browse through all you pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so excited for you to go on this adventure! You will have an amazing experience. I will definitely be reading your blog and I want to see lots of pictures too! We need to hang out before you leave. Love you Suwwy! :)

    ~El

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have fun, Julie! This journey will forever be etched in your memory. I am eager to follow your journey through your blog. I look forward to seeing you in the fall at HT! Have fun!
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joules-
    We are all very excited for you and look forward to hearing all about your adventures. This blog will be a great way for you to share your experiences as they happen.
    Your Mom and I are very proud that you have the courage and confidence in yourself to leave the country for six weeks on your own. Not only will
    you be able to see another country but you will be alble to interact with the people and have an impact on your students.
    We love ya.
    Rand(Your Dad)

    ReplyDelete